Craving for an Asian-inspired recipe? Try our Vegan Fried Rice recipe for a healthy spin on authentic cuisine. Pair this fried rice recipe with our Black Pepper Tofu recipe for a wholesome, delicious meal.
It is recommended that nearly half of our grains throughout the day should be whole grains. Including brown rice in your day will help you reach that recommended goal. The whole grain option can help increase your iron intake as well as a great source of fiber and B vitamins, while adding a healthy dose of fiber. Throwing in a number of veggies help us add vitamins and minerals that many of us are lacking and help reduce risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and many cancers. Tofu is a great source of protein from that soy and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese. The combo of tofu and beans will create a protein packed meal to help keep you feeling full and healthy for the long run.
To prepare the rice, cook it up according to the package directions. In a separate bowl, scramble up the tofu with a fork until it resembles eggs. In a large wok or pot, sautee your onions, peppers, ginger, garlic, carrots, and tofu in a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the rice is all cooked, slowly add it to the vegetable mixture and continue to cook. If you need more oil, toss in another tablespoon. Stir fry the rice until it appears crispy. Add soy sauce and then add the seasoning to taste. Mix in the bean sprouts and add in cilantro and scallions for garnish.
Top off with some sriracha or hot sauce for an extra kick to enhance this dish. I love this on those easy Friday nights with a cozy blanket and a movie binge after a long week. Have you thought about throwing tofu into your fried rice? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup of chopped veggies of your choosing (I used carrots, bell peppers and onions)
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons of chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- Onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions
- In a bowl, “scramble” tofu with a fork until it resembles the consistency of eggs
- In a large Wok or pot, sautee onions, peppers, ginger, garlic, carrots and tofu in 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Once rice is cooked, slowly add it to vegetable mixture and continue to cook (use the additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil if needed). Stir fry until rice appears crispy
- Add soy sauce then add seasoning to taste
- Lastly, mix in bean sprouts and then add cilantro and scallions for garnish
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and scallions
- Top with Sriracha hot sauce for an extra kick