The One Pot Veggie Pasta recipe has been hot in the streets this year, so we had to put together a quick how-to video on how to make it yourself. This recipe is a winner because it’s easy, affordable, & filling. It makes the perfect lunch, and the best part is you can customize with your favorite toppings and sides.
This recipe uses whole wheat pasta is a great swap for your normal white pasta noodles. The whole wheat option can help increase your iron intake as well as a great source of fiber and B vitamins, while adding a healthy dose of fiber. Throwing in a number of veggies help us add vitamins and minerals that many of us are lacking. We used cherry tomatoes and onions, but you can chop up whatever you have on hand and toss them into this dish.
To make this one, you will start by combing the spaghetti, water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, olives, oregano, olive oil, and salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a bowl on high heat for about 12-15 minutes. Make sure to stir the pasta about every five minutes. When the pasta is about done, turn off the heat. You will know when the pasta is done once it is al dente when it is firm, but not hard. Top off with some fresh basil and enjoy! If you do not have basil on hand, you can always use whichever herbs you do have. Try some parsley, sage, or thyme!
We all know that life can get in the way of our healthy decisions, so try making this dish ahead of time to have a healthy lunch or leftovers for those busy days. What veggies do you like to throw in your pasta dishes? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 7-8 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5-6 black olives
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or flat pot, combine all ingredients.
- Boil the mixture on high heat (without a cover) for 12-15 minutes. Make sure to stir the pasta every 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is al dente (aka firm but not hard) and most of the water has evaporated, turn off the heat.
- Top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Optional: Top pasta with 1 ounce of your favorite cheese. We used feta!