Grab all the zucchini you can before this summer is up because you’re going to love our Avocado Pesto Zucchini Pasta recipe! The avocado pesto will be that creamy fix for your day while the zucchini pasta is packed with a wonderful crunch.
Zucchini is a great vegetable that you can whip up in so many different ways. Zucchini is also a healthy dose of magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. You can eat it as a raw pasta, bake it like chips as we have here, or even whip it into some muffins or zucchini bread. We want to use as much zucchini as we can especially in these summer months when zucchini is growing into monstrous sizes. Get to your farmers’ market and pick some up while they’re hot (and while they’re cheap)!
Start by blending your avocados, basil, garlic, olive oil, onion, and lemon juice until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency. If you need some more liquid (like we did in our video) just toss in a splash of water to thin it out a bit. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchinis at the corners until you reach the other end. Cook the zucchini peels in some olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes. You want to cook your zucchini lightly so that you save that heavenly crunch. Pour the avocado pesto mix on the zucchini pasta and top with the cherry tomatoes and olives.
If you need to make this pasta a bit more dense, mix the zucchini noodles with a cup of cooked, whole-wheat fettuccine noodles. Many people think that you need a fancy vegetable spiralizer to make vegetable noodles, but you can see here that you can do it with just a vegetable peeler! If you don’t have a vegetable peeler, you can even use a paring knife to get some nice, thin noodles. How do you all feel about zucchini noodles? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 3 large zucchinis
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of basil
- 1/3 cup of chopped olives
- 1/4 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Blend avocados, basil, garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onion and lemon juice until a smooth and creamy consistency is reached. If you need more liquid, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel zucchinis at the corners until you reach the seeds.
- Cook zucchini peels with 1 tablespoon of olive oil under medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. You want the zucchini to lightly cook but to stay slightly crunchy.
- Pour the avocado pesto mix on the zucchini pasta, then top with halved cherry tomatoes and chopped olives.
- To make your pasta heartier, add 1 cup of cooked fettuccine pasta to the mix