Zucchini season is upon us making this Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna recipe perfect for your summer nights. This pasta-free, low carb recipe is packed with vegetables and protein. Besides being mouthwatering, it makes for the perfect packed lunch, and can be done with just 5 ingredients. Make it for dinner one night and take your leftovers to work the next day.
Zucchini is a phenomenal, light alternative to dense pasta. Zucchini is a type of summer squash that can typically be found in the store all year long. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin B12, and manganese. Zucchini also provides vitamin A, potassium, phosphorous, and folate. This recipe adds your daily dose of vitamins and minerals in a delicious way!
You’ll need a few zucchinis for this one. Start off by chopping the ends off of each end of the zucchini. Slice each zucchini lengthwise into 4-5 slices. You’ll want these slices about ⅕ inch thick. In a baking dish, assemble 4-5 tightly aligned zucchini slices as your base. Spread ½ a cup of tomato sauce and lightly add ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Portion it all out so there is enough for three layers. Add 4-6 onion rounds on top. Repeat the layers two more times. Top off the dish with remaining zucchini slices. Lightly spread whatever is left of the tomato sauce, sprinkle on some more cheese, and toss on a dash of black pepper. Bake this up at 400F for about 60-70 minutes!
This sounds like a lot, but trust me, it is well worth it! There is nothing better than fresh zucchini when it is in season. This recipe will help swap out some of your carbs for the day while offering a host of nutrients. What do you think ofusing zucchini noodles instead of regular pasta? Let us know what you think in the comments below! xo
- 5 medium-sized zucchinis
- 1.5 cups of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of light ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 medium red onion (sliced in rounds)
- Optional: Black pepper to taste
- Chop both ends off of each zucchini.
- Slice each zucchini length-wise into 4-5 slices (about 1/5-inch thick)
- In a baking dish, assemble 4-5 tightly aligned zucchini slices as your base.
- Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, and lightly add ricotta and mozzarella cheese (portion it out so there is enough for 3 layers)
- Add 4-6 onion rounds on top.
- Repeat the layers twice.
- Top off with the remaining zucchini slices. Lightly spread what’s left of the tomato sauce, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese, and finish off with grounded black pepper (optional).
- Bake @400F for 60-70 min. Enjoy!