We all need a little comfort in our lives and this Ground Tofu Spiced Chili will do just that. It is a perfectly dense meal to satisfy all your cravings.
The beans in this recipe are an excellent source of dietary fiber to help keep our digestive tracts running smoothly. They are also a great source of plant-based protein. To top it all off, beans are a phenomenal source of iron. Iron helps to carry oxygen and nutrients to our blood cells, which help keep our cells healthy. This means that you will feel more energized and healthy all over.
Tofu is made from curdled soy milk that the water has been removed from. It can be fairly bland so it is great to marinate and flexible for whatever flavors you want to add. Tofu tends to have a meat like texture that many people like. It is a great source of protein from that soy and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese. The combo of tofu and beans will create a protein packed meal to help keep you feeling full and healthy for the long run.
Begin by draining the tofu and crumbling it into pieces. Set this aside until we are ready for it. Heat up the olive oil in a pot and saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and curry powder for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the beans, tomato sauce, water, cayenne pepper, and tofu. Bring the mix to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the chili to simmer for about 40-45 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
This is a phenomenal recipe to make earlier in the week and enjoy for lunches all week long. Top some whole wheat noodles with chili for a full balanced meal. What do you think about using tofu in your chili? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 can of low-sodium black beans OR 2 cups of cooked black beans
- 1/2 can of low-sodium garbanzo beans OR 1 cup of cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 3 cups of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Drain the tofu, and crumble into pieces. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pot, and sauté onions, garlic, carrots, and curry powder together for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in beans, tomato sauce, water, cayenne pepper, and tofu.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Optional: Top with your favorite cheese. Makes the perfect on-the-go lunch!