Feeling a little Italian tonight? This Garlic and White Wine Tofu Pasta will make you feel like you are fine dining in little Italy, but it has a nice, healthy spin on it to remove any guilt. It is your time to indulge yourself.
The whole wheat pasta is a great swap for your normal white pasta noodles. The whole wheat option can help increase your iron intake as well as a great source of fiber and B vitamins, while adding a healthy dose of fiber.
The tofu in this recipe provides that protein to balance out your meal. Tofu is made from curdled soy milk that the water has been removed from. It is a great source of protein from that soy and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese from a plant-based source. Many people use it as a meat substitute because it is fairly bland, it marinates well, and has a meat-like texture making it an easy switch without subbing out that necessary protein.
Start this dish by boiling a pot of water to cook your whole wheat pasta. While this is cooking, peel your garlic and add all of the cloves to a food processor or a blender. Toss in a tablespoon of olive oil and blend it all until it is a paste. Chop the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and tofu into small pieces. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the veggies for a few minutes and add in the tofu. Add the tomato sauce and white wine. Next, add in a couple of tablespoons of the garlic puree, depending on how much garlic you like. Cook this up for about five minutes. Add in some thyme, oregano, and pepper. Feel free to throw in a pinch of salt if you need it, but I liked it totally fine without any added salt. Pour this sauce over your pasta.
Try not to eat this before your meeting with your boss or keep that mint gum on hand if you do. This dish is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal and keeps well in the refrigerator for leftovers. What do you think about adding tofu to your pasta? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 2 cups of whole wheat pasta
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1- 8oz can of tomato sauce (no sodium)
- 1/4 cup of white wine or white cooking wine
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano and thyme
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook 2 cups of pasta, as per package directions
- Peel garlic, add all cloves into food processor/blender with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until it is a paste
- Chop veggies and tofu into small pieces
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat
- Sauté veggies, add tofu
- Add tomato sauce and white wine
- Add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of garlic puree, depending on how garlic-y you like it
- Cook for about 5 minutes
- Add thyme, oregano and pepper
- Add a pinch salt if you must (however, I added no salt and it was still deeelish)
- Pour sauce over pasta.
- Eat up. *garlic breath alert*