2016 is The International Year of Pulses, and this week we’re celebrating with this savory coconut lentil rice. For those of you who aren’t sure what pulses are, we’ve got you covered! Pulses are a family of legumes that includes lentils, beans, dry peas and chickpeas. They are a rich source of plant-based proteins and amino acids for people around the world, and can be incorporated into meals in so many fun and creative ways. Along with protein, pulses are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals like folate, iron, and potassium. Just one cup of cooked pulses gives you over half of the fiber you need for an entire day! They are rich in soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which offer endless health benefits ranging from weight management to improved digestion.
The pulse featured in this recipe is lentils. Lentils are an excellent source of protein, iron, folate, and potassium. This powerful pulse is rich in fiber and complex carbohydrates, and low in fat and calories. Lentils are so flexible in the kitchen, and can be incorporated in a myriad of ways. Check out these Lentil Meatballs we made last month! They are insanely delicious.
Pulses are easily accessible to communities in different parts of the world because of their affordability. They are also amazing for our environment- pulses use a fraction of the water other protein sources use! They enrich our soil, which results in crops with improved nutrient profiles.
So now that we all know how amazing lentils and other pulses are, let’s get to this recipe! It’s incredibly easy and straight forward. First you’ll cook your lentils and brown rice separately, until tender. Everyone has their own tricks for cooking brown rice- I usually boil under low-medium heat for 30-40 minutes with the right water ratio (see below) and that works perfectly every time. If you have another way, make sure to go for it! After the lentils and rice are cooked, you’ll sauté them in coconut oil, tomato paste, onions, and garlic. Throw some fresh cilantro in there, and you’re all set!
Make sure to let us know in the comments below how this recipe turned out for you! Are you a pulse fan? Let us know in the comments below what your favorite pulses are. You can learn more about pulses and take the Pulse Pledge. Xo
- • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- • 2 ½ cups water
- • ¼ cup lentils
- • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- • ½ onion chopped
- • 3 garlic cloves sliced
- • Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- • ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
• In a pot, bring the 2 ½ cups of water to a boil
• Add the uncooked brown rice and cook over low-medium heat for 35 minutes, with the lid on. Cook with the lid off for the last 5 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated and the rice is tender
• While that’s happening, cook ¼ cup of lentils in another pot filled with water for 35 minutes as well or until the lentils are tender
• Once the rice and lentils are cooked, heat your coconut oil and tomato paste on a pan. Add the chopped onions, and sliced garlic cloves and sauté together for 2 minutes
• Then add the cooked rice and lentils, and using a large spoon, mix all the ingredients well together
• Cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes
• Remove from the stove, and season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste
• Throw in the fresh cilantro, and mix in well with the rice
This post was created in collaboration with USAPulses & PulseCanada