Braised white beans (My ABSOLUTE favorite white bean recipe) on crusty bread topped with crunchy scallions! The garlic chunks melt in your mouth and crunchy scallions take it to the next level.
You can make a batch of beans for the week, and then assemble your toast in 2 minutes when ready to eat. This bean recipe is inspired by the NY Times creamy braised white beans! See full recipe below <3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 1 thyme sprig
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg or garam masala
- Red pepper flakes and salt, to taste
- Crusty bread
- Olive oil and parmesan for topping
- Sautéed scallions for topping
In a pan, heat olive oil and sauté garlic until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the milk, white beans, thyme and nutmeg/masala and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes or until beans have thickened.
Halfway through cooking, mash half of the beans with a fork and mix together. Top with parmesan.
Layer the bread with beans, drizzle olive oil and top with parmesan and sautéed scallions. Enjoy!