I don’t know about all of you, but I’ve had a late case of the sniffles and have been dying for something warm, hence the creation of our soothing Winter Turmeric Ginger Tonic. I basically put together my favorite ingredients for a cold remedy into this warm and comforting drink.
That gorgeous golden color comes from a little friend I like to call turmeric. Turmeric is a spice that has been getting a lot of attention lately for its health benefits. It has been used for centuries in South Asia for medicinal purposes. It is well known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric can reduce risk for chronic diseases, certain cancers, aid in managing arthritis, and many other diseases and conditions.
Ginger is also an herb that can stimulate powerful health benefits in the body. Similar to turmeric, ginger has been shown to decrease inflammation, swelling, pain, nausea, and vomiting through its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It adds a wonderful flavor that is sweet and spicy at the same damn time.
You’ll begin by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil and steeping green tea bags in the water for 5 minutes. Add honey, and mix in well with a spoon. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and add the green tea water, squeezed lemon, squeezed orange, ginger, and turmeric to a blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth, and using a fine mesh strainer, pour the tonic through the strainer and into a jar. Pour into 2 mugs or enjoy alone and save the rest for another day! If you want an extra kick of spice, top with a pinch of ground black pepper.
The ginger, turmeric, orange, and lemon create a revitalizing sensation of flavors that will be sure to kick your body back into action. How many of you out there have jumped on the turmeric train with us? What do you think about our Winter Turmeric Ginger Tonic? Comment below and tell us what you think! xoxo
- 2 cups water
- 2 bags green tea
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 orange
- 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- Optional: Pinch of ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil, and steep the green tea bags in the water for 5 minutes. Add honey, and mix in well with a spoon
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and add the green tea water, squeezed lemon, squeezed orange, ginger, and turmeric to a blender
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, and using a fine mesh strainer, pour the tonic through the strainer and into a jar
- Pour into 2 mugs or enjoy alone, and save the rest for another day!
- Optional: Top with a pinch of ground black pepper