Disclosure: We’ve partnered with SmartMade™ to create this Vegetable Quinoa Fried Rice!
Sure, we’re dietitians, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love good food. In fact, one of our favorite dishes to order at a Chinese restaurant is fried rice. Can you blame us? It’s an ever-so-crunchy delight that’s packed with flavor.
Having said that, part of being dietitians means we are always looking for creative swaps for our favorite foods that may not be quite as nutritious. So when our friends at SmartMade™ contacted us about creating our own healthy recipe using a “smart swap”, we jumped at the chance to turn a traditional fried (white) rice into a yummy vegetable quinoa delight.
SmartMade is a new line of frozen meals that wants to hear from you as they create meals inspired by you. If you like this smart swap and would like to see a similar meal in your freezer aisle, please pin this post to your Pinterest board. The recipe with the most love from YOU will be used as inspiration in a future meal!
You’ll be happy to know that this vegetable quinoa fried rice is even more flavorful than its traditional counterpart. Top that off with the fact that this dish actually nutritious — really nutritious — and you would be missing out big time if you do not to give this goodie a chance.
We chose to use quinoa in this recipe to boost the protein content. Quinoa is one of the few grains that also happens to be a complete protein. The secret for making quinoa super flavorful is by cooking it in vegetable broth, which we did with this recipe. We also provided a healthy helping of delicious vegetables, like carrots, corn and peas plus button mushrooms. Vegetables are high in fiber, which helps us feel full, and is low in calories, which helps us maintain our weight.
So let’s get started with this recipe, shall we? This recipe is super simple, and only takes a few easy steps. The first thing you do is bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Then you’ll add your quinoa, cover with a lid, and cook for about 20 minutes or until fluffy. Next, add the sesame seed oil and mushrooms to a large wok or pan, and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the beaten eggs and scramble for another couple of minutes before adding the cooked quinoa, veggies, garlic powder and soy sauce. Sauté everything together for an additional 5-7 minutes, then remove from heat and top with fresh scallions. This recipe yields 3 servings, so enjoy with loved ones or save the rest as leftovers for the week!
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups frozen vegetables, thawed (we used the carrots, corn & peas blend)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 scallions, sliced
- In a pot, start by bringing the vegetable broth to a boil
- Add the quinoa, place the lid, and cook over low-medium heat for 20 minutes
- Once the quinoa is cooked, set it aside
- In a wok or large pan, heat the sesame seed oil, and add the mushrooms
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, and then add the beaten eggs
- Scramble for another couple of minutes and then add in the cooked quinoa, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, and soy sauce
- Sauté together for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and top with fresh scallions. Enjoy!