Brunch? Yes please. Call all your friends up because you’re going to be dying to try out this Yuca Tomato Basil Frittata recipe after reading this. We love whipping this up on a relaxing weekend and enjoying with friends and family.
Nutritious and delicious? It can be done. There are so many nutrient dense foods in this recipe. Yuca is a great source of fiber and vitamin C while eggs are high in protein, healthy fats, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, zinc, iron, and copper. Last, but not least, tomatoes are loaded with many vitamins and minerals. They are rich in a phytonutrient called lycopene that gives it the gorgeous color. Lycopene works as an antioxidant to protect against free radical damage. It has also been linked to lower risk for cancer, heart disease, and eye health. They are also high in vitamin C and vitamin A. How about that for a start to your weekend?
Get that oven going by preheating it to 400F. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yuca cubes together and set aside. In a skillet, heat up olive oil under medium-high heat. Add in garlic and onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the egg mixture into the skillet and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the bottom starts to set. Turn off the stove and arrange tomato slices and basil leave on top of the egg mixture. Top off with some crumbled cheddar cheese. Transfer the skillet into the heated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the top is crisp. Slice it into 6 pieces and enjoy!
You can make this for a fun family brunch or make it for yourself to have a healthy breakfast for the week. It also works great for a breakfast for dinner meal – which is my personal favorite. Toss in some other herbs to kick it up with some flavor. How does this sound to you? Let us know in the comments below!
- 8 medium eggs
- 1 cup of yuca, boiled and cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of crumbled cheddar cheese
- 2-3 of your favorite tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4″ slices
- 10-15 leaves of fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, mix eggs and yuca cubes together. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat up olive oil under medium-high heat.
- Add in garlic & onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in egg mixture to the skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes (or until the bottom starts to set.)
- Turn off stove, and arrange tomato slices and basil leaves on top of the egg mixture.
- Top with crumbled cheddar cheese.
- Transfer skillet to heated oven, and bake on 400F for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is crisp.
- Slice it into 6 pieces, and enjoy.