This hearty Turkish breakfast features a fragrant, tender tomato sauce with peppers and onions. The eggs add a silkiness to the dish, and a boost of protein. Serve with crusty whole-wheat bread to soak up all the sauce.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more for garnish
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ½ cups tomato, finely chopped, about 1 extra-large
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 slices crusty bread, preferably whole-wheat, warmed
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, paprika, crushed red pepper, salt, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add tomato and tomato paste; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced slightly and thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add eggs; cook, stirring, until the eggs are fully cooked but still soft and saucy, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Garnish with crushed red pepper, if desired. Serve with warm bread.
You can find more details about this recipe at eatingwell.com: Menemen (Turkish Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes)