Are you looking for an alternative to those pre-packaged veggie burgers that are loaded with preservatives, sodium, and other icky stuff you probably don’t need? We thought so.
That’s why we created this delicious DIY black bean veggie burger recipe that is sure to rock your socks. All ingredients are fresh and whole, and everything can be done in 5 easy steps. Watch the video below to get started.
Black beans serve as the base of this veggie burger. Beans are an excellent source of dietary fiber to help keep our digestive tracts running smoothly. They are also a great source of plant-based protein. To top it all off, beans are a phenomenal source of iron. Iron helps to carry oxygen and nutrients to our blood cells, which help keep our cells healthy. This means that you will feel more energized and healthy all over. Not to mention the plethora of other veggies mixed into this burger to add many other important vitamins and minerals.
To make these, you’ll need to start by combining black beans, chopped onions, chopped red pepper, panko bread crumbs, garlic, ketchup, whole-wheat flour, olive oil, and a dash of cayenne in a food processor or blender. Pulse it a couple of times to make sure it is all mixed well to develop a smooth consistency. If you are having trouble blending the mixture, add some water, stir the mixture with a spoon, and then continue pulsing. Once you are done blending, scoop the mixture into a bowl. Form 4-5 patties with your hands and sprinkle each side with extra breadcrumbs. Bake at 450F for 15 minutes or until crisp and brown.
Veggie burgers are a great idea to make the patties ahead of time and store them in the freezer! They are perfect for those busy days without sacrificing healthy eating. Have you ever made your own veggie burgers? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 cup of black beans
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse a few times to mix well. (If the your machine is not blending well, add a few spoons of water and continuously stir the mixture with a spoon while the blender/food processor is off to get a consistent texture. Then continue pulsing)
- After you get a consistent texture, scoop out the mixture into a bowl.
- Form 4-5 patties with your hands. Sprinkle each side with some extra breadcrumbs for sturdiness. If you plan on eating them up right away, lightly oil a baking sheet and
- bake for 15 minutes on each side at 450F or until crisp and brown.
- If you plan on storing them, you can either wrap each patty individually in plastic, or you can line each one with wax paper, and then stack them in a container. Then they can go right into the freezer! Whenever you’re ready, just de-frost and bake them.