This hearty Red Lentil Curry Stew is flavor and spice served on a hot platter. It’s the kind of dish that will have you wanting to snuggle in your couch, watching Netflix, and eating your heart out (in that exact order). It’s warm and filling with subtle coconut flavors. Besides being an excellent source of fiber, red lentils are rich in iron, protein, zinc and phosphorus. If you’re wondering what to pair this with, we recommend enjoying it on its own (I topped it with avocado…and it was delightful) OR pair it with brown rice or couscous.
Lentils are a part of the big ‘ol pulse family. Pulses are the edible seeds of the legume family- some of the most popular ones being dry beans, chickpeas, lentils, and peas. Pulses offer a million benefits. They are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, they have a low glycemic index (meaning they keep your blood sugars in check), they are naturally low in fat and sodium. Pulses are also a great source of folate, other B vitamins, high in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium – all of which play very important roles in the body.
Start this puppy off by boiling the lentils and the carrots in a medium sized pot for about 20 minutes. Once this mix is all done, drain the water and add ½ the cooked lentils and carrots as well as garlic, ginger, and the red bell pepper. Blend it up until it is a nice, smooth puree. In another pot, heat your olive oil and add chopped onions, tomato sauce, and curry powder for about 2-3 minutes. Add the blended puree and the other half of the cooked lentil and carrot mix, paprika, cumin, and coconut milk. Cook the whole thing up for about 10 minutes on low heat. Add kale and cook for another couple of minutes and add some salt and pepper to taste. Finally, this baby is ready to enjoy!
Now tell us: Have you cooked red lentils before? Let us know your favorite recipes in the comments below! And as always, tell us how this recipe came out for you. We hope that you’ll give it a try!
- · 2 cups dry red lentils
- · 2 cups kale chopped
- · 1/2 small red onion chopped
- · 1 red bell pepper chopped
- · 4 garlic cloves minced
- · 1 cup carrots chopped
- · 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- · 1/4 cup coconut milk
- · 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- · 1 tablespoon olive oil
- · 2 teaspoons curry powder
- · 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- · 1 teaspoon cumin
- · Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
· In a medium-sized pot filled with 4 cups of water, boil lentils and carrots for 20 minutes
· Drain the water, and in a blender add 1/2 of the cooked lentils and carrots + garlic, ginger, and the red bell pepper
· Blend until a smooth puree is reached
· In another pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chopped onions, tomato sauce, and curry powder and cook for 2-3 minutes
· Add the blended puree, the other ½ of the cooked lentil and carrot mix, paprika, cumin, and coconut milk
· Cook for 10 minutes on low heat
· Add kale, and cook for another 4-5 minutes
· Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste