Excellent eggplant! This Light Pesto Eggplant Parmesan recipe will be your new favorite eggplant parm recipe. We’re just trying to keep it classic and healthy so you can happily enjoy all of your favorite dishes.
We really like eggplant because of all the vitamins and minerals such as copper, thiamine, manganese, and other phytochemicals that do wonders for your health. It is also an excellent alternative to some of the higher calorie classic Italian dishes while still providing that delicious Italian flavor. Try to buy your vegetables when they’re in season to optimize your dish and your wallet! Eggplant is best from August through October, though grocery stores have them year round. Incorporating vegetables regularly help to reduce risk of chronic disease such as heart disease, cancers, and type 2 diabetes.
Start up by preheating the oven to 400F. Slice the eggplant into 12 rounds about one inch thick each. Season the eggplant with paprika, salt, and pepper. On an oiled baking pan, bake the eggplant rounds for about 15-20 minutes until they are brown around the edges. When they are ready, remove from the oven and let cool. Place the rounds in a baking dish and evenly layer the rounds with mozzarella, tomato sauce, and pesto. Place the remaining eggplant rounds on the layered eggplant and layer once again. After they are all layered, finish off by sprinkling breadcrumbs and parmesan. Bake it all again for another 20-25 minutes and enjoy!
When you’re craving something traditional and satisfying, this eggplant parmesan recipe is for you! Make our DIY pesto for a authentic, entirely homemade dish. Pair with a hearty salad filled wholesome greens and plenty of veggies and a side of whole grain like rice or quinoa for a well balanced dish. What do you think of our take on this classic recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of pesto
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1/8 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice the eggplant in 12 rounds, around 1 inch thick
- Lightly season each eggplant piece with paprika, salt, and pepper
- On an oiled baking pan, bake eggplant rounds for about 15-20 minutes, until they brown around the edges
- When ready, remove eggplant from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place 6 eggplant rounds in a baking dish, and evenly layer each round with mozzarella, tomato sauce, and pesto
- Then place the remaining 6 eggplant rounds on the layered eggplant, and layer once again.
- After layered, finish off by sprinkling breadcrumbs and parmesan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on 400F. Enjoy!
- You can find a DIY pesto recipe on our site
- Enjoy with pasta and/or a side salad.