Who else lives for brunch? This Kale Skillet Omelette is the next hit dish at your weekend brunch. I can’t even begin to explain how much I love brunch and I promise you will not be disappointed with this one. You can’t go wrong with a classic omelette with a healthy spin.
Eggs are one of the best proteins that exist and are actually the best source, according to the PDCAAS or Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (yes, there are actually people who have the job of breaking down proteins and ranking them according to their amino acid content and ratio). The eggs in this recipe not only provide plenty of protein, but they also provide healthy fats, selenium, vitamin D, vitaminB6, vitamin B12, zinc, iron, and copper. So you can see why we love eggs so much! Kale is also a phenomenal source of vitamin K, A, and C, folate, B vitamins, copper, manganese, and fiber.
To whip this dish up, begin by beating two eggs in a small bowl. Take a skillet or pan and sauté onions with olive oil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Once the aroma of those onions have filled up your kitchen, add your chopped kale and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Next, add your eggs to the pan and cover for 5-7 minutes until the eggs are thoroughly cooked. Top off with some queso fresco (or your favorite cheese), salt, pepper! Slice up some avocado or tomato slices to serve on the side and enjoy with a slice of whole grain toast!
Tell me you love brunch as much as I do. Enjoy this dish on the weekend or whip up quickly before work. Add whatever other veggies you’d like to make the dish unique. What are your favorite veggies to toss into your omelettes? Let us know what you think in the comments below! xo
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of kale, finely chopped
- 1/8 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 ounce of queso fresco (or whatever cheese you love)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside
- In a skillet or pan, sauté onions with olive oil for 3-4 minutes under medium heat
- Add chopped kale and cook with onions for another 3-4 minutes
- Add eggs to the pan and cover. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, or until eggs are completely cooked.
- Top with queso fresco, salt, and pepper. Enjoy with avocado and/or toast!