This Black Pepper Tofu hits the spot in so many ways! It has a fiery pepper flavor that will add a dose of pop to your favorite dishes. Simply marinate the tofu for an hour, and cook on the stove until you get a deep brown color. Once these tofu chunks were done, I tossed them into spinach quesadillas and it made the meal so much more complete!
Tofu is made from curdled soy milk that the water has been removed from. It can be fairly bland so it is great to marinate and flexible for whatever flavors you want to add. Tofu tends to have a meat like texture that many people like. It is a great source of protein from that soy and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese. Many people struggle to get the right texture to their tofu, but this recipe will crisp it up nicely.
Start by cutting half of a block of firm tofu into 1×1 inch squares and place into a bowl. Add some soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame seed oil, ginger, crushed black pepper, and garlic powder to the bowl and mix in well together, making sure the tofu is all coated nicely with the marinade. Let the tofu marinate for at least an hour. After an hour, heat a pan over medium heat and cook the tofu for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with a pinch of cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes.
You can also enjoy this tofu with your favorite grain, or toss into a green salad. Throw on some fresh scallions or add to your favorite quesadillas for a nice touch of protein. Any tofu lovers out there? Drop a line in the comments below! Hope you give this recipe a try- if you do, let us know how it comes out!
- 1/2 block of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup of scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Cut tofu into 1x1 inch squares and place into a bowl
- Add soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame seed oil, ginger, crushed pepper, and garlic powder to the bowl, and mix in well together
- Let marinate for at least 1 hour
- Heat a pan, and under medium heat, cook tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown
- Top with a pinch of cayenne pepper and (optional) red pepper flakes
- Top with fresh scallions, and enjoy with a side of rice or quinoa. You can also toss these in a salad or use them as a stuffing for quesadillas!