We are constantly looking for fun ways to keep breakfast delicious and interesting and this Yuca and Chard Frittata does exactly that! It has the perfect combination of savory ingredients that will keep you craving more. Who wants a boring cereal when you can make frittata ahead of time and have on hand for those mornings on the go? Let’s try some new veggies and throw some yuca and chard into our morning routine!
Talk about nutritious too! The eggs are loaded with protein and healthy fats that will keep you full all day long, while the veggies in this dish offer so many different nutrients. Yuca is a great source of fiber and vitamin C. Dark leafy green vegetables (aka chard) are full of vitamin K to help blood clotting and iron that helps to carry oxygen to the cells, leaving us energized for the day.
To prep this dish, you’ll need to begin by preheating the oven to 350F and then start by chopping your yuca into small pieces. In a separate bowl, whisk together your eggs. Next, heat oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. You will add your diced onions and a dash of cayenne for a nice kick. Cook this up for about 2 minutes. Once the onions turn a nice golden color, add in the yuca pieces. Cook the yuca until it begins to brown. This should take about 5 minutes. While the yuca is still cooking, toss in the chard. Next, you’re going to pour the egg mixture into the skillet and stir evenly to distribute all of the ingredients. Toss in a pinch of salt and cook until the bottom is set, which should take about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on some of that mozz and top with another dash of cayenne. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the center of the frittata is set, which should be about another 15 minutes.
Have we convinced you yet? Frittatas are one of my fav breakfast options because you can throw it together on the weekends and then have in the fridge, ready to heat, for those busy workdays. It can also work well for lunch or dinners! Toss in some herbs for a quick flavor spin and you’re good to go. How does frittata for lunch sound? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup of cooked yuca
- 1 cup of steamed/sautéed chard, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Chop yuca into small pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium flame. Add onions and a dash of cayenne pepper. Cook for ~2 minutes.
- When onions are golden, add in yuca pieces. Cook until yuca starts to brown (about 5 minutes)
- While yuca is cooking, add in chard. Then pour egg mixture into the same skillet and stir evenly to distribute all ingredients. Season with salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the bottom is set (5 minutes).
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the egg mixture. Top with a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake on 350F until the center is set (~15 minutes.) Enjoy!