Not only is this Sweet and Savory Smoky Tofu totally delicious, but it is super easy to prepare as well! Make it to put on a delectable salad, place over a bed of greens, or toss into your favorite stir fry.
Tofu is made from curdled soy milk that the water has been removed from. It is a great source of protein from that soy and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese from a plant-based source. Many people use it as a meat substitute because it is fairly bland, it marinates well, and has a meat-like texture making it an easy switch without subbing out that necessary protein.
To make, you’ll need to freeze the tofu overnight in the original, unopened package. Remove the tofu from the freezer and defrost by running hot water on the package. Press the water out of the tofu by gently squeezing it with your hands. When you drain the tofu, it allows for it to absorb the marinade much more easily. When pressed, cut the tofu into 8 triangular pieces about ½ inch thick and set aside. In a bowl, combine the sesame seed oil, maple syrup, orange juice, soy sauce, lime juice, and black pepper and stir together. Soak the tofu pieces in the marinade for at least an hour or even overnight. After it is soaked, heat up a pan with vegetable oil. Cook the tofu pieces for about 5-6 minutes on each side. Make sure the tofu has a blackened color for the best smoky flavor. Remove from the pan and enjoy!
Our favorite way to enjoy tofu is over a nice, hearty bed of greens. Toss it on a salad with some kale, quinoa, and veggies for a perfectly tasty and balanced meal. Have you had sweet and savory smoky tofu before? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Freeze tofu over night in original unopened package.
- Remove tofu from freezer and defrost by running hot water on package.
- Press the water out of the tofu by squeezing gently with your hands. This will allow for the flavors to be absorbed more easily.
- When pressed, cut the tofu into 8 triangular pieces about 1/2 inch thick, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the sesame seed oil, maple syrup, orange juice, soy sauce, lime juice and black pepper and stir.
- Soak the tofu pieces in the marinade for at least an hour. For best results, soak overnight in the fridge.
- After soaked, heat up a pan (doesn’t necessarily have to be a grilling pan) with vegetable oil.
- Cook the tofu pieces for about 5-6 minutes on each side. Make sure the tofu has a blackened color.
- Remove and enjoy!
- Enjoy with vegetables & your favorite grain!