- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 red onion medium, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic whole
- 1 jalapeño roughly chopped and de-seeded
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 medium tomatoes or 1.5 cups of tomatoes roughly chopped
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt more as needed
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro leaves
In a sauté pan, heat up the olive oil for a few seconds, and add in onions, garlic, and jalapeño pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium flame.
Slowly add in flour and mix into the sautéed ingredients. A pasty-grainy mixture should form. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Transfer everything from the pan into a blender, and add in the fresh tomatoes into the blender as well.
Blend until you get a consistent thick paste.
In a pot on low-medium flame, add in the contents of the blender and add in 3 cups of water, salt, and oregano. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
When you're ready to enjoy, add in fresh cilantro.
Adjust for salt. Enjoy!