Are you pregnant or have a loved one who is expecting? Then you don’t want to miss this episode. Today we are talking all about prenatal nutrition with Lily Nichols. Lily is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise.
Her bestselling book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes, presents a revolutionary nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes. Her unique approach has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally.
Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, outlines the problems with current prenatal nutrition guidelines and provides the evidence—934 citations TO BE EXACT—to support a real food diet approach to optimize maternal and fetal health. Lily is also the creator of the popular blog, Pilates Nutritionist, which explores a variety of topics related to real food, mindful eating, and pregnancy nutrition.
In this episode, we will cover:
- Why Lily is so passionate about prenatal nutrition
- How the childhood diabetes epidemic may be linked to a prenatal diet
- What conventional nutrition gets wrong when it comes to nutrition during pregnancy
- A different take on protein needs during pregnancy
- Nutrients most commonly lacking in a prenatal diet, and how women can make sure they are getting enough of these nutrients
- Lily’s take on supplements during pregnancy
- How to incorporate intuitive eating principles while pregnant
- Lily’s Website
- Real Food for Pregnancy Book
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes Book
- Gestational Diabetes Food Heaven Podcast Episode with Lily Nichols
How to submit a question:It’s easy! Simply record your question on the voice memo of your phone and email it to us at [email protected]. We’ll try our best to answer your question on an upcoming episode (and we’ll be sure to email you when we feature your question).
Can you do us a huge favor? If you enjoyed this episode, please do us a huge favor and leave us a review on iTunes ….right now. The more reviews we get, the higher we are ranked in iTunes, which means we reach more people!
How to subscribe:
Connect with us online:
- Instagram @foodheaven
- Twitter @foodheavenshow
- Facebook @foodheavenmadeeasy
- Pinterest @foodheavenmadeeasy
Our podcast is released every Wednesday. In each episode, we cover tips and tricks for making lifelong sustainable healthy living changes to upgrade your diet and health. We also interview leading experts in the field of health and nutrition to pick their brains on how to cultivate a healthy life that you love. We hope you enjoyed this episode, and we’ll catch you next time!