This healthy salad makes the perfect side dish for the holidays. Butternut squash turns tender in the oven, while goat cheese and pumpkin seeds add creaminess and crunch. Letting the kale and lemon juice sit helps tenderize the leafy green, so don’t skip that step.
Warm Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Goat Cheese & Pepitas
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed (3/4-inch)
- ½ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups stemmed lacinato kale, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pepitas, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spread squash and onion on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and maple syrup; sprinkle with kosher salt. Stir to coat and spread in an even layer. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine kale and lemon juice in a large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand while the squash is baking, allowing the kale to soften.
Add the roasted vegetables to the kale; toss to combine. Top with goat cheese, pepitas, flaky salt and cracked pepper.
You can find more details about this recipe at eatingwell.com: Warm Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Goat Cheese & Pepitas
Leave a Reply