Are you looking to mix up your sandwich game? Well, this Grilled Eggplant & Chard Sandwich is definitely the way to do it. The eggplant & chard combo will spark those taste buds and ignite your body to be the healthiest it can be.
We really like eggplant because of all the vitamins and minerals such as copper, thiamine, manganese, and other phytochemicals that do wonders for your health. It is also an excellent alternative to some of the higher calorie classic Italian dishes while still providing that delicious Italian flavor. Try to buy your vegetables when they’re in season to optimize your dish and your wallet! Eggplant is best from August through October, though grocery stores have them year round. Incorporating vegetables regularly help to reduce risk of chronic disease such as heart disease, cancers, and type 2 diabetes.
This grilled eggplant & chard sandwich is separated into a few different steps. To start, take one small eggplant and slice it into ½ inch slices. Mix salt and water into a large bowl and soak the eggplant for 3-4 hours or even overnight. This will take some of the bitterness off of the eggplant. After the eggplant slices are soaked, wash them off with cold water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Mix paprika and olive oil together and lightly coat each side of the eggplant. Heat up a grill or a pan and cook the glazed eggplant slices on medium for 5-7 minutes.
Step two is the fun part. Begin by spreading goat cheese on two slices of whole wheat bread. Layer the bread with chard leaves or your favorite leafy green, cherry tomatoes, and sliced of grilled eggplant. Finish off with a dash of black pepper and enjoy!
I don’t know about you, but I could eat goat cheese on just about everything. How do you like goat cheese on your grilled eggplant & chard sandwich? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 small eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup of sautéed chard* (made from approx 1 cup raw chard)
- 1 tablespoon of goat cheese
- 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread
- Black pepper to taste
- Mix salt and water in a large bowl and soak eggplant slices for 3-4 hours (overnight is better). This will draw moisture out of the eggplant.
- After eggplant slices are soaked, wash them off with cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix paprika and olive oil together and lightly glaze each side of the eggplant.
- Heat up grill or pan, and cook glazed eggplant slices for 5-7 minutes on each side over a medium high flame.
- On whole wheat bread, spread goat cheese as a base.
- Layer bread with chard, cherry tomatoes, and slices of grilled eggplant.
- Finish off with a dash of black pepper. Enjoy!