Easy like Sunday morning… These Whole Wheat Spiced Pancakes are exactly what you will be craving every slow, weekend morning. Whip them up, enjoy with some hot coffee or tea while you read that book you have been meaning to catch up on. How relaxing is that?
Not only are we going to make these absolutely delicious, but we’re going to make them healthy and nutritious too. The rich whole wheat in this recipe will help get you that recommended daily amount of whole grains each day. Americans tend to get plenty of grains, but we are lacking in whole grains. Many processing techniques remove the germ and the bran of the grain that contain those essential minerals that our bodies need to function when they make refined white flours. This recipe uses whole wheat flour which can help increase your iron intake as well as a great source of fiber and B vitamins. Plus, adequate iron allows us to feel energized throughout the day. Who ever said pancakes can’t be good for us?
Pancakes are also super easy to whip together! Just mix up some whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in your almond milk, vegetable oil, and honey or syrup and mix well until you achieve a smooth consistency without any lumps. Heat a nonstick pan or use some nonstick spray on a frying pan. Pour in about ¼ cup of batter and get to it! Cook each pancake for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat. When the pancakes are all stacked, sprinkle on some walnuts and drizzle with some honey.
If you’re not salivating by now, you might want to get your taste buds checked. These are also great to make ahead of time and keep a small stack stored in the refrigerator for a healthy breakfast that just needs a quick zap in the microwave later in the week. How delicious do these flapjacks sound to you? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of walnuts
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add in milk, oil, and honey/syrup.
- Mix well until lumps are gone.
- Heat non stick pan or use nonstick spray on pan.
- Pour some batter in the pan and get to making pancakes!
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side under medium heat.
- When pancakes are done, sprinkle walnuts and drizzle with some honey. Enjoy!