I don’t know about you but I cannot get enough Reese’s in my life. If I could, I’d eat em all day long. As we all know, I can’t do that. But at least I can take a healthier spin on them with these Almond Butter Cups. The dark chocolate and almond butter combo is an even better than your usual peanut butter and chocolate.
Did you know that dark chocolate has great health benefits? It is a great source of antioxidants which can help fight off chronic diseases by fighting free radicals. Free radical damage has been linked to various cancers, aging, and a variety of diseases. Dark chocolate is even a good source of iron, magnesium, copper, and manganese to help you get a healthy dose of minerals. So who says sweets can’t have health benefits?
We’re going to grab all of our ingredients and get this one started. Begin by melting one bar of dark chocolate in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Break the chocolate pieces up and add to a saucepan. Chocolate burns pretty quickly, so make sure you’re keeping a close eye on it! Stir the chocolate until it is completely melted and pour into a bowl. You’re going to do the same for the almond butter until it is completely melted too. Once the chocolate and almond butter are all ready to go, pour one small layer of chocolate into a cupcake holder, then pour a layer of almond butter, sprinkle in some almonds, and then top it off with another layer of chocolate. Let the cups chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
How quick and easy was that? You can switch this recipe up with a variety of different nut butters and play with the ingredients to make this recipe unique! Throw one in with your lunch for that healthy and delicious afternoon pick-me-up. How do you like our spin on the classic PB and chocolate combo? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1, 100-gram bar of dark chocolate (the darker the better)
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 4 chopped almonds
- Melt chocolate in the microwave for about 30 seconds
- If you are using a stove, heat saucepan on low heat OR see cool video tutorial above
- Break chocolate into small pieces and add to pan
- Pay close attention as the chocolate can burn quickly
- Stir chocolate until it is completely melted, then quickly pour into a bowl
- Repeat this same process with almond butter until it is fully melted
- Lay out 6 cupcake holders on a plate
- Pour one small layer of dark chocolate in each cup
- Then pour a layer of almond butter in the cups
- Sprinkle the crumbled almonds evenly on top of the almond butter layer
- Top with a layer of chocolate
- Place the cups in the fridge and chill for 2-3 hours. Enjoy!
- You will need 6 cupcake holders for this recipe