How gorgeous does this Curry Coconut Chickpea Dish look? Not only is it beautiful to look at, but it is also beautiful to eat! It provides that bit of warmth you’re looking for. I like to make this when I’m looking for that touch of comfort food. The potato and chickpea combo create such a comforting texture, while the curry in the dish is the perfect kick that you need with the sweet and creamy touch of coconut milk.
Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) will add some nice, plant-based protein the dish. There are 15 grams of protein in one cup of cooked chickpeas. They are also an excellent source of fiber, manganese, and folate! You’ll love the taste and texture that they provide. The kale helps to round out this recipe by providing vitamin K, A, and C, folate, B vitamins, copper, manganese, and even more fiber. The coconut milk has a nice sweet flavor with a creamy taste. Coconut milk is an excellent source of iron, which we could all use! The dish is loaded with nutrients that will keep you satiated and healthy.
Start off by heating up olive oil in a pot and add one tablespoon of curry powder. Cook this up for one minute then add your onions. Sauté this over medium heat for a couple minutes. Add the coconut milk, garlic powder, cayenne, and a bit more curry and cook for another five minutes. Toss in some salt to taste. Throw in your chopped potato and a cup of water. Cook this then for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Once the potatoes are done, add the kale and cook for your last five minutes. Finally, enjoy!
The coconut and curry give a sweet and spicy combination that I think you will really love. How did you like the curry/coconut mixture? Let us know what you think in the comment below! xo
- 2 cups of raw kale, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups of chickpeas, cooked
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (add a few pinches if you like spice)
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, heat up olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of curry powder. Allow it to cook for 1 minute, and then add chopped onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes under medium heat.
- Add coconut milk, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and the other tablespoon of curry powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to the curry sauce, to taste.
- Add chopped potato, 1 cup of water, and all of the chickpeas. Put a lid on the pot, and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- After potatoes are soft, add in kale, stir in, and cook for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!