This caramelized onion & goat cheese pita pizza is happening right now! Pita pizzas are my go-to dinner option when I get home tired, hungry, and ready to eat. It’s quick, hearty, and involves very little prep. What I usually do is buy a pack of pita bread and freeze most of the rounds so I have dinner backups stocked. Just thaw one round in the morning and by the time you get home, it will be ready for use. For this recipe, you’ll be topping the pizza with caramelized onions and mushrooms, which can be prepared in less than 5 minutes.
After that, all you’ll be doing is crumbling the goat cheese on top and popping in the oven for 10 minutes or until the bread crust is crisp. The fresh basil and balsamic vinegar add the perfect finishing touch of sweetness to the recipe. Cut it up and enjoy with your favorite salad! Let us know in the comments below what your favorite toppings are for pita pizzas! Also let us know if you give this bad gal a try. xoxo
- 1 100% whole grain round pita bread
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ onion, sliced in ½” thick rounds
- ½ cup button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Fresh basil, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the pita bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Coat the pita bread with tomato sauce, and set aside
- In a pan, heat olive oil and cook the sugar under medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar starts bubbling
- Add the onion rounds and mushrooms to the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove and top the pita bread with the mushroom onion sauté
- Crumble the goat cheese on the pita, and pop in the oven at 400F for 10 minutes
- Remove and top with drizzled balsamic vinegar and fresh basil leaves