A few weeks ago we hosted an epic retreat in Jamaica at The Runaway BnB. We were so inspired by all of the native flavors of the island, we figured we had to create a series of recipes using fresh, local produce. For this recipe series, we teamed up with our friends at Nubian Heritage, a skin and body care company that uses natural, certified organic and ethically sourced ingredients from around the world. We used their Coconut and Papaya Line (check out the pic below) for inspiration for this Almond Pumpkin Seed Coconut Granola recipe. We chose to focus on creating a dish that involved coconut because we love the flavor of coconut in recipes. It’s also a good source of medium chain fatty acids, which are easily absorbed by the body. Coconut also has a long history of use in skincare- as well — we love adding coconut oil to our face and body (even hair!) for long lasting moisture and hydration.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup slivered almonds, raw
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespons raw or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed coconut oil
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy, then stir into the granola mixture.
- Spread granola in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes. At the 15 minute mark and the 30 minute mark, use spatula to gently flip granola and rotate the pan.
- The granola is finished when it's evenly golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely on cooling rack. Break into clusters and store in an airtight container.
FTC: This post was sponsored by our friends at Nubian Heritage. Stay in touch with them via Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter.