In today’s podcast episode we talk about a topic that is near and dear to home for me (Jess speaking), Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, or just Hashimoto’s, is an autoimmune condition where the body is attacking itself, and in this case, the body attacks the thyroid gland.
I actually have Hashimoto’s and it is a condition that runs in my family – my grandmother, mother, and sister have it. Today we will be learning more about what Hashimoto’s is, associated signs and symptoms, how food plays a role in managing this condition, and more!
Here to give us more information about Hashimoto’s disease is Mary Purdy. Mary is an Integrative Dietitian who has worked in private practice for 8 years and has also served as a professor and clinic supervisor at Bastyr University. Mary currently provides lifestyle counseling to clients using personalized genetic data and functional labs with a food as medicine approach. She’s the host of the really funny web series & podcast “Mary’s Nutrition Show” and is also the author of the recently published book “Serving the Broccoli Gods.”
In this episode, we’ll talk about:
- What it means to be an integrated RD and the food as medicine approach
- What Hashimoto’s disease is
- Difference between Hashimoto’s disease, hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism
- How common is Hashimoto’s disease
- Common signs and symptoms to look out for
- When to go see a practitioner and be tested for Hashimoto’s
- Integrative nutrition recommendations specifically related to Hashimoto’s
- Long-term implications of Hashimoto’s
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Mary’s FB Community
- Mary’s Nutrition Show podcast
- Mary’s YouTube Channel
- Sign up to receive her monthly newsletter
- Purchase “Serving the Broccoli Gods” book here
- Instagram | Twitter | Youtube
- Susan Blum’s The Immune System Recovery Plan
- Amy Meyer’s The Autoimmune Solution
- Aviva Romm’s The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution
- Lisa Markley’s The Essential Thyroid Cookbook
Can you do us a huge favor?
If you enjoyed this episode, please do us a huge favor and leave us a review on iTunes ….right now. The more reviews we get, the higher we are ranked in iTunes, which means we reach more people!
Become a podcast sponsor:
Our podcast reaches thousands of engaged listeners each week. If you are a brand interested in becoming a sponsor, contact us to learn more about our affordable rates.
Connect with us online:
- Instagram @foodheavenshow
- Twitter @foodheavenshow
- Facebook @foodheavenmadeeasy
- Pinterest @foodheavenmadeeasy
Our podcast is released every week. In each episode, we cover tips and tricks for making lifelong sustainable healthy living changes to upgrade your diet and health. We also interview leading experts in the field of health and nutrition. We hope you enjoyed this episode, and we’ll catch you next time!