Today we’re talking with Melissa Fabello, PhD, a social justice activist whose work focuses on body politics, beauty culture, and eating disorders.
As a digital creator, Melissa develops online content to challenge others to unpack oppressive ideology around food, bodies, and beauty. Known for being both no-nonsense and witty on Twitter and Instagram, she warmly, but firmly invites followers into hard conversations around wellness.
Melissa is also a licensed educator with over a decade of experience working with diverse populations, which deeply informs her work today. In the form of workshops and speeches at various universities, organizations, and conferences, Melissa educates students and professionals in a hands-on, dynamic atmosphere. Her energetic presentations are created around participant-centered learning objectives, and her audiences leave her talks not only with knowledge, but with tangible skill sets.
She received her PhD in Human Sexuality Studies at Widener University, where her phenomenological research explored how women with anorexia nervosa make meaning of their experiences with sensual touch. The results of her work can be found in her groundbreaking ebook, Appetite. Melissa also holds an M.Ed. in Human Sexuality and a B.S. in English Education from Boston University.
In this episode, we’ll talk about:
- Ways that poor body image and disordered eating manifest sexually
- How partners help to build trust and connection within the relationship when one partner has an eating disorder or body dissatisfaction
- What language partners can be more mindful of, or avoid entirely, when talking about wellness, bodies, and sex
- How the societal standards of beauty impact who we are attracted to
- Practices that women struggling with body dissatisfaction can do to feel more confident in the bedroom
- & MORE!
- Beauty School: (scroll down to subscribe) A monthly newsletter that includes an original essay, a suggestion for an awesome activist to follow, and
Melissa’s favorite links floating around the web.
- Appetite: A 100-page instantly downloadable ebook on anorexia and women’s sexuality – the only comprehensive resource on the topic in the world.
- Work with Melissa
SHOUT OUT TO OUR PODCAST SPONSORS
Looking for interesting CBD products that go beyond the usual pills or oils? Check out Cured Nutrition’s CBD cookie dough, dog treats, & more! Get 15% off all Cured Nutrition products with code FOODHEAVEN at checkout!
Can you do us a huge favor?
If you enjoyed this episode, please do us a huge favor and leave us a review on iTunes ….right now. The more reviews we get, the higher we are ranked in iTunes, which means we reach more people!
Become a podcast sponsor:
Our podcast reaches thousands of engaged listeners each week. If you are a brand interested in becoming a sponsor, contact us to learn more about our affordable rates.
Connect with us online:
- Instagram @foodheaven
- Twitter @foodheavenshow
- Facebook @foodheavenmadeeasy
- Pinterest @foodheavenmadeeasy
Our podcast is released every week. In each episode, we cover tips and tricks for making lifelong sustainable healthy living changes to upgrade your diet and health. We also interview leading experts in the field of health and nutrition. We hope you enjoyed this episode, and we’ll catch you next time!