Today we’re talking with Carolyn Kylstra, the Editor-in-Chief of SELF magazine. Under Carolyn’s leadership, SELF was repeatedly recognized for its excellence with awards including a National Magazine Award for Social Media, inclusion on Adweek’s Hot List, an Ad Age A List award, the MM&M Award for Best Consumer Health Site, and the 2018 Webby Awards People’s Voice Award for Best Health Website. Additionally, Carolyn was honored as a 2018 Digiday Changemaker, and named Folio’s 2018 Digital Editor of the Year.
During her tenure, SELF’s traffic has tripled, YouTube subscribers quadrupled, and the brand’s total audience grew to over 20 million, in part due to the brand’s highly successful Snapchat Discover channel, which she launched as the first health and wellness brand on the platform, and quickly amassed a dedicated following of over 10 million visitors per month.
Carolyn has worked in the health and wellness media world for over a decade, and has worked as an editor at a range of national publications, including BuzzFeed, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, and Cosmopolitan.
Take a look at these amazing SELF covers:
In this episode, we’ll talk about:
- Carolyn’s defining experiences that influenced her to become a media maven and shift the way media is presented
- How Carolyn has leveraged SELF to make wellness more inclusive and accessible
- Her experience with opening up conversations about race, body size, and accessibility on a major media platform
- The tools and strategies she has used to open up productive dialogue about white privilege, medical racism, and other topics
- Her definition of wellness, and what she thinks self care looks like
- How people can consume health news in a more informed and useful way
- & MORE!
- SELF’s Snapchat editions
- What Carolyn is reading: Homegoing, Pachinko, Heavy, Educated, The Collected Schizophrenias
- Dot Journaling
Can you do us a huge favor?
If you enjoyed this episode, please do us a huge favor and leave us a review on iTunes ….right now. The more reviews we get, the higher we are ranked in iTunes, which means we reach more people!
Become a podcast sponsor:
Our podcast reaches thousands of engaged listeners each week. If you are a brand interested in becoming a sponsor, contact us to learn more about our affordable rates.
Connect with us online:
- Instagram @foodheaven
- Twitter @foodheavenshow
- Facebook @foodheavenmadeeasy
- Pinterest @foodheavenmadeeasy
Our podcast is released every week. In each episode, we cover tips and tricks for making lifelong sustainable healthy living changes to upgrade your diet and health. We also interview leading experts in the field of health and nutrition. We hope you enjoyed this episode, and we’ll catch you next time!
Leave a Reply