We’re so excited to introduce Plant-Based Mondays to Food Heaven, where we’ll be doing weekly plant-based produce highlights! We’ll highlight the nutritional properties of different plant-based foods, and will drop some creative ways to incorporate them in the kitchen. All food featured will be picked up from my farmers market here in the Bronx, which means all features will be local and seasonal!
Our very first feature is lemongrass. I was introduced to this fragrant herb in Jamaica, where I enjoyed lemongrass tea every morning. Since then, I’ve been hooked. So much so, that I even have a lemongrass plant growing in my tiny apartment. When I saw these lemongrass bundles at the farmer’s market, I almost died of excitement.
Here’s why you should be using lemongrass:
- Citronellol, a compound found in lemongrass, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, and may bring muscle and joint pain relief
- Studies have shown that the compounds found in lemongrass have anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties
- Lemongrass can also help repel bugs- it’s in the same family as citronella!
- Lemongrass contains multiple anti-oxidants, which can help in the prevention of certain cancers
- It adds a unique flavor to cooked dishes, which can be useful when cutting back on salt
Here are 3 delicious plant-based lemongrass recipes for you to check out!
- Vegan Coconut Lemongrass Soup
- Lemongrass Curry with Broccoli & Tofu
- Spicy Lemongrass Noodle Soup