In this episode, we interview national nutrition expert Rebecca Scritchfield and get her thoughts on the Body Mass Index (BMI) measure and what it means for our health. Rebecca is a registered dietitian nutritionist, certified exercise physiologist, author of the book Body Kindness, and host of the Body Kindness podcast. Through her weight-inclusive counseling practice, she helps people make peace with food, find the joy in exercise, and create a better life with workable goals that fit individual interests.
- Rebecca’s thoughts on the validity of BMI. Is it BS?
- The relationship between BMI, health, and disease
- Can you be at a high BMI and still be healthy? How about vice-versa?
- Cultural factors that change how BMI should be interpreted
- Rebecca’s thoughts on weight stigma, and what to do when your doctor comments on your weight and recommends weight loss
- How to take care of ourselves without focusing on BMI
- & MORE
- Rebecca’s website
- PSA: Healthy Eating Should Include Mental And Social Health, Too
- Body Kindness – Rebecca’s first podcast episode with us
- Regan Chastain’s “What to say at the doctor’s office” Printable cards
- Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia
SHOUTOUT TO OUR PODCAST SPONSORS:
Tired of wearing uncomfortable bras? Take Thirdlove’s online quiz to find a bra with the perfect fit and a premium feel, among more than 70 sizes – including their signature half-cup sizes! Go to ThirdLove.com/FOODHEAVEN and get 15% off your first purchase!
How to subscribe:
Connect with us online:
- Instagram @foodheavenshow
- Twitter @foodheavenshow
- Facebook @foodheavenmadeeasy
- Pinterest @foodheavenmadeeasy
Our podcast is released every Wednesday. In each episode, we cover tips and tricks for making lifelong sustainable healthy living changes to upgrade your diet and health. We also interview leading experts in the field of health and nutrition to pick their brains on how to cultivate a healthy life that you love. We hope you enjoyed this episode, and we’ll catch you next time!