Got that friend’s birthday coming up and looking to do something a little different? Give them the gift of deliciousness and healthy eating with this Chocolate Olive Oil Cake. The ingredients are super simple and you probably already have them on hand. Many cakes are made with a hearty dose of butter. Butter, although delicious, is laden with saturated fats. Research has shown that saturated fats contribute to major chronic conditions like heart disease. The olive oil in this cake is still a fat, but it is comprised of healthier fats. These healthy fats are called omega-3 fatty acids, which play an important role in energy production and inflammation reduction. Studies have even shown that they help to lower cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure.
Trust me, we do not sacrifice the chocolatey goodness that you’re looking for with a cake. This recipe starts by mixing your whole wheat flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Next, you will pour in your apple cider vinegar, olive oil, warm water, and vanilla extract into the bowl and mix well. Using a hand mixer to mix usually makes the best cakes. Pour the batter into a lightly greased cake pan. Bake the cake at 350F for about 30-35 minutes. To test the doneness of the cake, insert a fork or a toothpick into the very middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then it is all ready, if not, give the cake a couple more minutes and test again. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for another 10-20 minutes and enjoy!
We topped this cake off with a homemade coconut whip cream that was super easy to whip up. You can top it with any frosting recipe you know or some homemade fruit topping. What do you think about an olive oil cake rather than butter as the fat? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt (literally)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vingar
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients (first 4 ingredients) together in a large bowl
- Pour in the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix well. (Hand mixer delivers best results)
- Pour into a lightly greased cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes on 350F. (To see if it’s ready insert a fork into the cake. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go)
- Allow to cool for 10-20 minutes. Enjoy!
- **This cake was topped with homemade coconut whipped cream.