Can you just smell the aroma now? Mmm mmm. How amazing would it be to wake up to the scent of fresh baked Whole Grain Banana Bread in the morning? Enjoying a dense piece of banana bread with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea sounds so phenomenal.
Even better? This recipe is a healthy recipe full of rich whole grains and nutrients to help you get through those long days. Americans tend to get plenty of grains, but we are lacking in whole grains. Many processing techniques remove the germ and the bran of the grain that contain those essential minerals that our bodies need to function. This recipe uses whole wheat flour which can help increase your iron intake as well as a great source of fiber and B vitamins. The bananas and carrots in this recipe help to get some of those vital fruits and veggies in too to ensure that we are getting important vitamins and minerals for our body to function well!
Many people don’t like baking because it can often get complex with many steps, but this recipe is relatively simple to make! You’ll begin by mixing together whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and some baking soda in a bowl. In another bowl, blend the carrots, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, ripened bananas, vegetable spread, and almond (or soy) milk together. After blending, you will have a thick, smoothie-like texture. Once you get this consistency, very slowly pour the blended ingredients into the bowl with the mixture of dry ingredients with a spoon vigorously with the dry ingredients. Once they are all mixed together, continue mixing vigorously until it is a smooth and uniform texture. Spray an 8×4” bread pan with nonstick cooking oil and add the batter. Finally, bake this baby up for about 60-70 minutes and enjoy!
How does this sound to you? Easy enough? Prepare ahead of time and let it sit for a yummy breakfast for the week. The sugar from the banana will help attract moisture from the air, so the bread will be most dense after a day or so. How does the whole grain swap sound to you? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of vegetable spread (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup of almond or soy milk
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Blend the last 6 ingredients. After blending, you should have a thick smoothie-like texture.
- Very slowly, pour the blended ingredients into the bowl with the mixture of dry ingredients. While pouring, make sure to mix the blended ingredients with a spoon vigorously with the dry ingredients.
- After all the ingredients are mixed together, continue mixing vigorously until you have a uniform texture.
- Spray an 8×4 bread pan with non-stick cooking oil, and add the batter.
- Bake on 350F for 60-70 minutes. Enjoy!