Where are all my nacho lovers out there? Our Vegan Jalapeno Cheese Sauce makes happy hour nachos a guilt-free snack. The ingredients in this recipe are nutrient packed, which makes this cheese sauce an excellent swap. With a cashew base, you will get a source of healthy fats and protein that you would not get from a regular cheese sauce.
The sauce is made with a combination of cashews, cornstarch, and nutritional yeast rather than actual cheese. The mixture creates a creamy texture that resembles a cheese sauce. Cashews are super tasty and highly nutritious. They contain a large amount of potassium, magnesium, and iron to keep you feeling your best. Iron carries oxygen throughout our body to all of our cells, muscles, and even our brain. This sauce is a lower fat alternative with some healthier nutrients than a standard cheese sauce can offer.
If you would like a creamier, smoother sauce, soak the cashews in three cups of water overnight and then drain the water. When you are ready to make the sauce, blend the cashews, water, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, lemon or lime juice, and salt in a blender. Move the blended mixture into a saucepan and cook it up until the sauce thickens up. Make sure to stir the sauce throughout the cooking, which should take a total of about 7-10 minutes over medium heat. Throw in the paprika and stir for another minute or so. When the sauce is all finished, add in the jalapenos and mix throughout the sauce.
Put this sauce on some whole grain tortilla chips, over some beans and brown rice with some peppers and onions, or enjoy as a dip. The jalapeno flavor will give any dish a phenomenal kick that you will love. Did you ever think that you could make a delicious cheese sauce without using any cheese? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1/4 cup of raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of lemon/lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Optional: Soak cashews in 3 cups of water overnight, then drain, for a smoother cheese sauce.
- Blend all ingredients except jalapeño pepper and paprika for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer blended ingredients into a saucepan, and cook until sauce thickens, constantly stirring the sauce. Should take about 7-10 minutes under medium flame. Add in paprika and stir for another minute.
- When done cooking, add in diced jalapeños. Enjoy within 5 days!