This spiced lentil burger is perfect for 2016 because it is the International Year of the Pulses, and we’ve teamed up with North American Pulses to bring you some mouthwatering Food Heaven pulse recipes. Now, some of you may be wondering “what exactly is a pulse?” If that’s you, great question. Pulses are the edible seeds of the legume family- some of the most popular ones being dry beans, chickpeas, lentils, and peas. We’re so excited about this collabo because we LOVE pulses- they offer so many nutritional benefits (without breaking the bank). To find out more about pulses and take the Pulse Pledge, click here! This month, we’re featuring this tasty spiced lentil burger. You can enjoy it with your favorite bread or along a bed of leafy greens.
Pulses offer a million benefits. They are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, they have a low glycemic index (meaning they keep your blood sugars in check), they are naturally low in fat and sodium. Pulses are also a great source of folate, other B vitamins, high in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium – all of which play very important roles in the body.
These spiced lentil burgers are a great alternative for those of you buying pre-made veggie burgers. Make some yourself! Making your own is tons of fun, saves money, and is usually more delicious than buying the frozen kind. This recipe uses lentils as the burger base. The red onion, scallions, chili powder, and cumin are going to give this burger that delicious bite you’re looking for!
We’re going to begin by combining lentils in a bowl with onions, scallions, ketchup, and spices and mashing them up into a smooth, chunky consistency. Slowly add the flour and then scoop the mash into about four balls. Then place on a tray and flatten into a burger shape and thickness. Pop these patties into the oven and bake each side for about fifteen minutes – thirty minutes of total cooking time. Enjoy with your favorite garnishes like tomato slices, avocado- anything really! What is your favorite topping? Let us know what you think in the comments below! Xo
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, combine the lentils with onions, scallions, ketchup, and spices.
- Using a large spoon or a pestle, mash up all ingredients in the bowl until the consistency is uniform.
- Slowly add in the flour, and mix it in while doing so. Add a pinch of salt, and mix it in.
- Using a spoon, scoop 4 balls of the lentil mash onto a non-stick baking tray.
- Once on the tray, flatten them out into the shape and thickness of a burger.
- Bake for 15 min on 400F. Flip over and bake the opposite side for another 15 min.
- Enjoy with bread or your favorite greens!
- If you plan on storing them, you can either wrap each patty individually in plastic, or you can line each one with wax paper, and then stack them in a container. Then they can go right into the freezer! Whenever you’re ready, just de-frost and bake them.