Red cabbage is so bright and beautiful, but once cooked, a lot of the color dulls down. I decided to go completely raw with this one, to preserve as much color as possible (aren’t these precious?). Just eating one of these babies had me feeling all types of healthy and whole. That crunch gets me every time! You can top this with your favorite protein for a more complete meal, or enjoy it as a side piece to your main meal.
These salad bowls are packed with healthy fats and fiber, and contain a significant amount of potassium, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin C & B12. Cabbage is high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and manganese. Avocados have tons of healthy fats, and potassium. Spinach is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin K, manganese, and folate while carrots also have vitamin A and many other vitamins and minerals. So you can see why this salad is a total nutrient powerhouse.
To start this salad, cut the root of the cabbage and pull apart the leaves. Set aside two of the most “bowl-like” leaves and finely chop the remaining leaves. In a bowl, combine the chopped cabbage with the avocado, cucumber, carrot, tomato, onion, and jalapeno. Rub the tahini, lime, and olive oil into the vegetable bowl and finish with salt and pepper. Stuff the cabbage bowls with the salad mixture and enjoy!
We love this recipe for a light meal on those warmer nights. We like this vegetable combo, but you can feel free to get creative. Have you ever used cabbage leaves as a bowl? Let us know what you think in the comments section below! xo
- 2 cups of red cabbage (6-8 leaves)
- 1 cup of spinach, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tahini sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the root from the bottom of the cabbage head, to make it easier to pull apart the leaves.
- Set aside 2 of the most “bowl-like” leaves for stuffing, and finely chop up 1 cup of red cabbage from the remaining leaves.
- Wash the cabbage leaves and chopped cabbage, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped cabbage with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Rub the tahini, lime, and olive oil into the vegetable bowl, and finish off with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the cabbage bowls with the salad mixture. Enjoy!
- You can top this with your favorite protein for a more complete meal, or enjoy it as a side piece to your main meal. As always, make sure that you wash all the vegetables used in this recipe!