After the holiday feasting, I had to get my hands on a big bowl of salad pronto. I made this fiber-rich purple kale salad, packed with tons of healthy fats. It has a hint of sweetness (thanks pomegranate!) that goes perfectly with the nutty tahini dressing. I simply added everything into a bowl, and with my hands, massaged the dressing into the vegetables- very relaxing, I promise!
Kale and cabbage will be the base of this salad. From there, you’ll chop up tomatoes and onion. Combine the kale, cabbage, tomatoes, and onion in a bowl. Next, add your tahini sauce and vinegar, massaging it into the mixture. Top off this salad with a beautiful arrangement of avocado, pomegranate seeds, and a pinch of cayenne.
Kale has been on the rise in the nutrition world for a few years now, and rightfully so. It is packed with vitamins A, C, and K and is also a great source of iron, folate, B vitamins, calcium, manganese, and fiber. Consumption of dark, leafy greens (like kale) has also been shown to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer due to its high antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory function.
Cabbage is a highly underrated vegetable and many people do not consider its high nutrient content. Cabbage is high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and manganese. Pair this with the kale and you have a highly nutritious combo. The added crunch from the cabbage will have you craving this salad all week long. It makes an excellent meal to take to work or eat it as a side while pairing with a protein and whole grain.
The punch of the dressing and sweet pomegranate seeds add a unique flavor to this crunchy powerhouse. I know I always need something light and crunchy after those hefty holiday meals. What do you go for when you need to get on track after the holidays? Let us know in the comments below! xo
- 3 cups of purple kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup of red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon of onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tahini sauce
- 1 teaspoon of white rice vinegar
- A pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the kale, cabbage, tomatoes, and onions.
- Add the tahini sauce and vinegar to the bowl, and massage it into the salad.
- Finish off by adding avocado, pomegranate seeds, and a pinch of cayenne. Enjoy!
- **The nutrition label is automatically generated through a plugin. As a result, there may be some inaccuracies in label values. Please use this label as a guide to give you a general idea of the nutrition content of this recipe.