As Black History Month continues, we’re bringing you this flavorful Jerk Tofu Scramble recipe. The powerful and aromatic flavors will be sure to wake you up in the morning for a delicious and savory breakfast dish.
Jerk sauce originated in Jamaica and is a staple in many meat and poultry dishes. It is typically a combination of thyme, ginger, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, and scotch bonnet peppers, blended to create an intense and dynamic flavor unlike anything else. “Jerking” became a common noun in Caribbean culture meaning to poke holes into the meat to allow the marinade and spices to steep into the meat. The spice blend is said to be created by escaped slaves who fled to the mountains, and would use a blend of spices to marinate & cook the game they hunted. The sauce is typically used to marinate chicken, fish, or other types of meat, but can also be used for tofu!
Tofu tends to have a meat like texture that many people like and is great to mimic the texture of scrambled eggs. Tofu is also a phenomenal source of protein. Soy provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese and many studies have found that the phytoestrogens in soy may help to reduce the risk of some cancers such as breast and endometrial cancers. It may also reduce the risk for heart disease.
To get started, press the water from the tofu with your hands, and in a bowl, crumble up the tofu (also can be done with your hands). Then add all of the ingredients for the jerk sauce in a food processor and blend until consistent. In a pan, heat the coconut oil and add the turmeric. Allow to cook for a few seconds, then add 1 tablespoon of the jerk sauce, and the crumbled tofu. Mix well with a spoon and cook over low heat, with the lid on for 5 minutes. Add salt, to taste and enjoy with toast and greens! You can store the leftover sauce in the fridge, in an airtight container. Use it to marinate your favorite proteins!
This Jerk Tofu Scramble recipe is great for a quick breakfast fix. It pairs perfectly with toast and greens, but you can also add avocado, potato hash, or whatever breakfast side you enjoy! How many of you live for jerk seasoning like we do? What are your favorite Jamaican inspired recipes? Let us know in the comments below!
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 small onion
- 4 scallion stalks
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1" piece fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- Press the water from the tofu with your hands, and in a bowl, crumble up the tofu (also can be done with your hands)
- Add all of the ingredients for the jerk sauce in a food processor and blend until consistent
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil and add the turmeric
- Allow to cook for a few seconds, then add 1 tablespoon of the jerk sauce, and the crumbled tofu
- Mix well with a spoon and cook over low heat, with the lid on for 5 minutes
- Add salt, to taste and enjoy with toast and greens!
- Store the remaining jerk sauce in an airtight container in the fridge and use to flavor your favorite proteins!