This hearty vegetable lentil soup recipe is dedicated to those nights you’re craving a little touch of comfort. It is a hearty comfort food with all the health benefits to go with it. The exciting part about this recipe is that you can throw in any vegetables in your arsenal. You’re going to want to keep the tomatoes and potatoes to keep that texture, but feel free to add anything you think might taste good! We chose zucchini and carrots because that’s what we happened to have in our fridge, but get creative with it!
Think about enjoying a thick bowl of this on a cold winter night after a long day. Yum! This is one of our longer recipes, but let me tell you it is well worth it! We’re starting this one off by sautéing onions and garlic in curry powder for about two minutes over medium heat. Next, add two cups of water, tomato sauce, lentils, carrots, tomato, and potato into the pot. Cook this mix on low-medium heat for twenty minutes with the lid on. Finally, add your zucchini, a cup of water, and cook on low-medium heat for another fifteen minutes until lentils are tender. Top it off with some salt and cayenne pepper before enjoying.
The benefits to this dish are endless. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, they have a low glycemic index (meaning they keep your blood sugars in check). They are also naturally low in fat and sodium. They are super rich in folate and iron and are also an excellent source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin, and vitamin K. This dish is loaded with nutrients from the lentils plus the many nutrients from all the vegetables. Carrots offer vitamin A, while zucchini is a great source of magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. With this dish, you’re getting the whole nutrient schebang.
Pair this soup with a side of grains such as brown rice, quinoa, or farro! What’s your favorite grain? Let us know how your soup turns out! Xo
- 3 cups of water
- 1 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup of zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice*
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of dry lentils
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small potato, cubed
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, and curry powder for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, tomato sauce, lentils, carrots, tomato, and potato to the pot.
- Cook on low-medium heat for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Add zucchini, 1 cup of water, and cook on low heat for another 15 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Enjoy with a side of brown rice.
- *NOTE: 1/2 cup of raw brown rice cooked in 1 cup of water for 25-30 minutes. Follow package instructions.