How do these Grilled Green Plantains sound for something new? Wow your friends and family with a new side dish at your next get together. Pair this with the dipping sauce recipe that we have provided for you below for an explosion of flavor.
Plantains are a staple in Asia, Africa, India, the Carribbean, and Central and South America. When plantains are still green, they are low in sugar and very starchy. You may confuse them with your typical banana. Though they are similar to the bananas, the major difference is that they must be cooked before eating them, unlike bananas. They have a ton of potassium and are a great source of vitamins A and C. We’re going to whip these up with some great savory flavor.
This recipe is pretty quick, only taking about 15 minutes to prepare and cook. Begin by cutting the plantain into thin slices as we have in the photo above. Heat the grill up over a medium flame and coat with a non-stick spray. Grill each side of the plantains for about 5 minutes or until you can see the grill marks on the slices. Add some salt to taste. Make a delicious dipping sauce by blending 3 cloves of garlic with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, one tablespoon of olive oil, and one tablespoon of cilantro.
Let these babies take you right to Central America tonight. Pick up some plantains from your local grocery store or farmer’s’ market to grill up. Make sure you choose the nice, green plantains to ensure the right flavor for this recipe! Enjoy as a side dish or just as a delicious snack. Try pairing with our Healthy Tropical Tostadas recipe for an authentically tropical meal. Have you grilled plantains before? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 Green Plantain
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Cut the plantain into thin slices
- Heat grill on medium flame
- Coat grill with non-stick spray
- Grill each side of plantains for about 5 minutes, or until you see distinct grill marks
- Add salt to taste
- To make the dipping sauce, blend 3 cloves of garlic with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Enjoy!
- You will need a cast iron grill (or a regular grill works too)