I know we all love to indulge after working a hard week, but why not make some of those indulgences a bit healthier? We’ve got our Spiced Wine recipe and Raspberry Sunset recipe here for some healthier drink choices. Life is all about balance and these cocktails will give you all the balance you need.
These recipes are excellent for when you have some fruit on the brink of going bad. Get your money’s worth and make a cocktail out of them! Indulging in alcohol occasionally and in moderation is totally okay! Moderation is part of a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle. What fun is completely restricting ourselves? It is recommended that women can have up to one drink per day and men can have up to two drinks per day.
For the Spiced Wine, take about two-three cups of red wine. Pour the wine in a pot. Chop up your orange into quarters and chop your apple, lemon, lime, and ginger. Squeeze the orange into the pot of red wine and then add the rest of your fruit and spices. Let the wine simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Make sure the heat is kept to low so that the alcohol will not evaporate through the heat. If you like your drink a bit sweeter, you can add a couple of tablespoons of honey. Let cool and pour in your favorite long-stemmed wine glass and enjoy!
For the Raspberry Sunset, start with your raspberries in a small bowl. Drizzle the honey over the raspberries and then mash the mixture into a sauce-like consistency. Pour the rum into glasses and use about 3-4 spoonfuls of the raspberry sauce into the mix with the run. Squeeze some lime juice into the glass and stir. Use the remainder of the sauce for more drinks or keep it refrigerated and use as a topping for some pancakes or desserts!
How refreshing and sweet do these cocktails sound? See, you are your very own mixologist! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 2-3 cups of red wine
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 piece of cut fresh ginger
- 4 sticks of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Pour wine in pot
- Chop all fruit
- Squeeze juice of quartered orange in mixture
- Add the rest of fruit
- Let wine simmer on low heat for 20 minutes (low heat so alcohol won't evaporate)
- If you like alcohol sweeter add a couple tablespoons of honey
- Pour in cup and serve
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of dark rum
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- In a small bowl, pour honey over raspberries. Then with a spoon/fork mash up the mixture into a sauce.
- Pour the rum into the glass and then use 3-4 spoons of the sauce to mix in with the rum.
- Squeeze the lime into the glass and mix.
- You can use the remainder of the sauce to make more drinks or as a topping for pancakes & desserts!