Today I’m sharing this Creamy Cashew Pesto Raw Zucchini Pasta with you. It is fresh, simple, and delicious. For those of you who follow us on social media, you may already know that I did a raw food challenge this past week. I was forced to get really creative in the kitchen, and create dishes that were completely raw (and flavorful of course). Let’s just say that it was indeed a challenge. Looking back, this recipe was one of my favorites. I made it like 3 times within the course of 3 days, so I figured I had to post it on the site!
Zucchini is a phenomenal, light alternative to dense pasta. I love to make this recipe when I’m in a hurry and looking for something quick and healthy. Zucchini is a type of summer squash but can typically be found in the store all year long. It is an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, and manganese. So this recipe adds your daily dose of vitamins and minerals in a delicious way. Also it gave us an excuse to use our Kitchen Active Spiralizer Spiral Slicer that we are completely obsessed with.
Most pesto recipes are made with a pine nut base. But this recipe is great because you can use any type of nut that you have on hand (great for varying nutrients in your recipe). Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fats, copper, and magnesium, while pine nuts are a great source of vitamin E and vitamin K. However, we went with cashews to really give the sauce a creamy texture for a savory dish. They are also an excellent source of magnesium, phosphorous, copper, and manganese! Keep in mind that for optimal creaminess, we’ll be soaking our cashews in water for a minimum of 2 hours.
Let’s get started with our recipe! Cut the ends off each zucchini, and then spiralize the zucchini into a bowl. Add the mushrooms to the bowl and set aside. Now let’s make our pesto! Add all of the ingredients for the pesto (except the salt) into a food processor. Blend until consistent and add salt, to taste. Next add the pesto to the zucchini and mushroom bowl, and massage the pesto in with your hands. Set that aside, and add the tomatoes to the food processor. Blend until you have an even consistency. Divide the zucchini pasta into 2 serving bowls (or 1 if you’re eating alone- save the rest for later!). Top with the tomato sauce, black pepper to taste, and garnish with basil and/or grape tomatoes. Enjoy!
The food heavenly combo of mushrooms, tomatoes, and zucchini with a creamy pesto in our Creamy Cashew Pesto Raw Zucchini Pasta will have your taste buds poppin’. Have you ever made a cashew based pesto before? What are your go-to raw recipes? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 4 medium zucchinis (yellow &/or green )
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (best if soaked in water for 2+ hrs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup tomatoes
- Cut the ends off each zucchini, and then spiralize the zucchini into a bowl
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl and set aside
- Now let's make our pesto! Add all of the ingredients for the pesto (except the salt) into a food processor. Blend until consistent and add salt, to taste
- Add the pesto to the zucchini and mushroom bowl, and massage the pesto in with your hands
- Set that aside, and add the tomatoes to the food processor
- Blend until you have a consistent sauce
- Divide the zucchini pasta into 2 serving bowls (or 1 if you're eating alone- save the rest for later!)
- Top with the tomato sauce, black pepper to taste, and garnish with basil and/or grape tomatoes. Enjoy!